Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Activities so far...and its only Tuesday!

I figured I needed to post as many times as I can during my break so I don't forget what we did after school starts up again. So, the last post ended with Indian River...that was last Wednesday...Thursday, we went to Roseau to do some grocery shopping and took a couple friends along with us. Nothing much to see there, just a really cramped town, so we have no pictures to share.

Friday we all went to Red Rock beach. That is a beautiful place. It has such a quaint restaurant and bar with the palm branches as shelter from the rain. The waves were impressive, I think that was due to the storms that were passing us by (hurricane Bill). The kids loved it because you can walk out quite a way before the water gets deep. The boys tried to spear fish, but it was too murky and the current was strong.

Saturday our friends Brian and Anna took the girls for the entire day and night (woo hoo!) and Wes and I went hiking in to Victoria Falls with a few other friends. Wes and Ryan had been there before, but Lauren, Stefani and I had not. It was a tough hike, especially since I have not exercised in years! We had to climb over boulders and cross the river multiple times, but it was worth it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHTOn2o1UJU I don't know how high the falls are, but when you get close enough you cannot look directly at the falls because the spray is blasting your face. The current in the 'pond' is really strong as well. We made it with minor scrapes and bruises and I got a black eye from Wes...no, really...he was trying to save me from falling in the river and ended up kneeing me in the face. So I have to give him a hard time about blacking my eye...he just says I shouldn't talk back.


After the hike, we had dinner at a cute place called "River Side". It is fairly new here and the people are great. The food is probably the best I have had since I've been here...and maybe even longer. I would definitely recommend going there. It was a great day and one of the last for Stefani...she finished 4th semester so she left the island. We have definitely met some wonderful people here.

Sunday...we moved!!! Yeah! Not far...just upstairs. But we now have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I know...sounds like we are living high on the hog, but don't forget, this is the apartment that leaked on us all 1st semester. It is not the Hilton, but it is great to actually have a bit of room to move around. My legs were so sore from the previous day's hike that I wondered if I were going to make it through the day...but I did and almost everything is put away. Did I mention that our "pet" gecko named Diamond came with us? Yes, we found him packed in a box. Cute little guy.

Monday we finished up unpacking (almost finished) and hit the beach here in town. We were babysitting a friend's little boy, so we didn't go very far. The kids had a blast, as usual. Karissa actually snorkeled (using my mask and snorkel) and loved it. Next time we will take her fins and let her use a longer snorkel...since the one we got for her is really just for use in a pool...where the waves don't put water down your pipe.

Today, (Tuesday), was another short trip day to Syndicate Park. It is a beautiful rain forest and an easy walk on the paths. It is where you can see Parrots, which we did! Unfortunately the parrots do not stop and pose for pictures, so you will just have to take our word for it. There is such lush vegetation in the park that it looks just like the movies.


We will keep you posted on more of our family adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment